As a realtor we get this question all the time and my answer depends on variables such as condition of competing inventory, whether it's hot, cold or neutral and the seller's return on investment. Many sellers put way too much money into fixing up their homes for sale. Some of these repairs a buyer will never notice. Some buyers want a fixer upper but these are people who generally want to repaint, replace a faucet and maybe repaint or replace the kitchen cabinet doors and hardware. Flippers and contractors will want the homes where they can take it down to the studs and make a profit when completed.
Here is a list of 10 minimum improvements to make before selling your home:
1. Patch holes and cracks in walls and ceilings.
2. Fix all broken appliances and HVAC systems.
3. Repair leaky faucets.
4. Replace worn or stained carpet.
5. Repaint dark or maked walls with neutral paint.
6. Replace broken window glass.
7. Repair the roof.
8. Change out any dated light fixtures and ceiling fans.
9. Fix any code violations
10. Replace old drapes and window coverings.